Lesson 5 of 10
- What do you think of Halo Wars?
- What do you think of Ensemble Studios? Was this a match made in heaven or not?
- What key themes did you observe?
- Leadership can be defined as: The ability to cast a unified vision, rally people behind it, and help guide it to completion. Why did Ensemble struggle with this so much?
- Who is the “vision caster” on your project?
- Are they doing a good job?
- After the Dallas retreat, they cancelled Wrench to pursue more exciting projects. This is a common cycle in games of being excited about something, working on it for a while, then cancelling it for another more exciting (at the time) idea. How has that been true for you?
- What is the solution to the excitement-cancellation cycle for you?
- Nobody at Ensemble could agree on what to do next, so they all just did different things. Without a clear leader calling the shots they descended into anarchy wasting resources x3 instead of x1. What should have happened at this point?
- Have you experienced boredom working on your project and wanted to cancel it?
- Was Microsoft right to cancel the studio?
- What lessons can you apply to your project?